POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender : Re: Blender Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Feb 2009 22:51:03
Message: <4998e2a7$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> Otherwise, it seems pretty straightforward. Altho there are a couple (so
>> far) of bothersome limitations, particularly in the textures. (Like, I don't
>> know how to do checkerboards or hex shapes or some of the other stuff POV
>> has built in, and you can't rotate a texture directly, so your wood rings
>> are fixed in one axis - just minor stuff like that).
>
> Much more powerful procedural textures are coming to Blender soon enough,
> completely modifiable via the nodes editor as well.  Anyway, most people into
> Blender -- and most other 3D apps as well -- simply use image maps, though
> being a povhead myself, I never quite adapted to the whole UV-unwrap thing
> either.

Well, I don't get how they do it anyway. I mean, you "unwrap" your mesh
to a pattern which is either a) sort of like the original, but not
really, or b) a lot of squares, where you can't tell the original
geometry. Then you paint it, reimport, overlay it into the UV pattern
then how the frack it works. Think the guys with.. deep paint, or what
ever its called, have it right. Lose the idiot, "make it some place
else, then glue it on like a label", BS and just paint directly on the
object, like you would in the real world. If you can't precisely control
the texture, its position, etc., or get an "accurate" mesh layout to
draw into, what is the point? And, even if its "may" be accurate,
technically, it takes a very different mind than mine to "get" how the
two correspond, without having some way to "see it" as I am doing the
drawing.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {